Whenever this potato salad is served at home, or taken to a barbecue, it always has guests coming back for seconds and asking for the recipe. What I love about it is it doesn’t have that horrible vinegar flavour you often get with bought potato salads. The eggs and whole egg mayo are what adds that beautiful creamy texture, while the green shallots, bacon and parmesan boost the flavour. You’ll want to make this one time and time again!
Creamiest ever potato salad everCourse: SidesCuisine: GermanDifficulty: Medium
a parent of Wahroonga Public School
A deliciously creamy potato salad that will have guests asking for the recipe!
1kg pkt baby red potatoes, chopped
1 tbs olive oil
150g diced bacon
2 green shallots, trimmed, sliced, handful of green section reserved
60g grated parmesan, plus extra to garnish
6 eggs, hard-boiled, shell removed
3/4 cup whole egg gluten-free mayonnaise
3 tsp wholegrain mustard
2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Boil the potatoes in a large saucepan of water for 15 minutes or until just tender (a knife should pass through without potato breaking up). Drain. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium frying pan. Add bacon and green shallots. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- To make the dressing, place all ingredients in a jug and whisk until well combined.
- Add cooled potatoes to the bacon mixture. Thickly slice the eggs and add to the bowl with the parmesan and dressing. Gently toss to combine. Top with reserved green shallot and extra parmesan. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Tips and notes
- Be sure to let your potato cool to room temperature before adding to the bowl with the remaining ingredients, otherwise it will make the mayonnaise mixture go runny.
- You can swap the baby red potatoes for waxy baby white potatoes.
- Make this salad vegetarian by removing the bacon.