Warming from the very first spoonful, this cheesy cauliflower and potato soup is full of flavour and perfect for those colder days. We serve it with garlic bread for extra yum and to sop up the remnants in the bowl. Serve it as a complete meal or in smaller portions as an entree.
Cheesy cauliflower and potato soupCourse: All Recipes, Dinners, Light Meals, Soups, VegetarianDifficulty: Easy
Warming from the very first spoonful, this soup is full of flavour and perfect for those colder days. We serve it with garlic bread for extra yum and to sop up the remnants in the bowl.
1 tbs olive oil
1 tbs butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 head cauliflower, leaves removed, cut into florets, stem chopped
3 large potatoes, peeled and chopped
1 tbs chicken stock powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper, plus extra, to sprinkle
1 cup milk
1 cup cheddar
Parmesan, to serve
Sour cream, to serve
Garlic bread, to serve
- Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring, for 3 mins or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 secs.
- Add the cauliflower florets and stem, the potato, stock powder and cayenne pepper to the pan. Pour in 1 cup water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, for 40 mins or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove pan from heat, pour in the milk and sprinkle over the cheese. Use a stick blender to puree the mixture until smooth. Season.
- Sprinkle soup with parmesan. Add a dollop of sour cream and a slice of garlic bread. Sprinkle with cayenne and serve.
Tips and notes
- Instead of sour cream, you can swirl through a dollop of cream just before serving.