Bánh mì is a Vietnamese sandwich with a magical fusion of Asian flavours. They are often made on a type of baguette with meat (such as pork sausage or chicken), pâté, pickled carrots and daikon, cucumber, coriander, chilli and mayonnaise. This vegie tofu option has all that wonderful and addictive bánh mì flavour. Enjoy!
Tofu, lemongrass and chilli banh miCourse: All Recipes, Healthy Snacks, Light Meals, Lunch Box, Sandwiches, rolls etc, Vegan, VegetarianDifficulty: Medium
Bánh mì is a Vietnamese sandwich with a magical fusion of Asian flavours. This vegie tofu option has all that wonderful and addictive bánh mì flavour. Enjoy!
450g extra-firm tofu, drained, sliced into 8 pieces
1/2 cup (125ml) whole egg mayonnaise
Vegetable oil, to shallow fry
4 baguette rolls, sliced horizontally
1/2 white onion, diced
1/2 red capsicum, sliced
1 lebanese cucumber, sliced diagonally
1 carrot, grated
Half bunch coriander, leaves picked
- Lemongrass and chilli paste
1 1/2 tbs chopped lemongrass
1 1/2 tbs chopped garlic
3 tsp sriracha chilli sauce
2 tsp fresh lime juice
2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp each of salt and white pepper
2-3 tbs vegetable oil
- Pat the tofu dry with paper towel and place in a shallow bowl. Set aside.
- To make the lemongrass and chilli paste, place the lemongrass, garlic, sriracha, lime juice, sugar, salt and pepper in small mixing bowl. Use a hand blender to blend until a coarse paste. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and blend until well combined, adding more oil, if needed, to form a smooth paste.
- Place mayonnaise in a small bowl. Stir in 1 tablespoon of the lemongrass paste. Cover and place in the fridge until needed.
- Add remaining lemongrass paste to the tofu and gently turn tofu to coat.
- Pour enough vegetable oil into a frying pan to generously coat the bottom of the pan. Heat over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and fry, gently turning, for 4-6 mins or until golden and edges are crisp. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- To assemble the bánh mì, evenly spread the lemongrass mayonnaise on each roll. Top with the tofu, onion, capsicum, cucumber, carrot and coriander. Serve immediately.
Tips and notes
- Want to turn up the heat? Add sliced red chillies or a squeeze of sriracha sauce to each roll.
- Swap the tofu for 450g chicken breast or pork sausage/steak for a meat alternative.
- To save time, you can make the lemongrass and chilli paste the day before, plus prepare the mayo mixture.