Banana bread, especially homemade, is a favourite of kids and adults alike. Whether a freshly baked slice in a lunch box or as a snack, or toasted and spread with butter for breakfast or brunch, make banana bread a staple in your household.
Making banana bread is easy, and when you bake it at home, you know exactly what’s in it (particularly how much sugar and oil), plus you get to enjoy those wonderful aromas coming from the oven as it cooks. Enjoy!
Homemade banana breadCourse: All Recipes, Baking, Breakfast/Brunch, Cakes/Muffins, Healthy Snacks, Lunch Box, TreatsDifficulty: Medium
Whether a freshly baked slice in a lunch box or as a snack, or toasted and spread with butter for breakfast or brunch, make banana bread a staple in your household.
2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
115g unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 large eggs
1/3 cup Greek yoghurt
2 cups (about 4) mashed ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
Butter, to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160C fan forced. Grease a 23cm x 12cm loaf pan and line base and long sides with 1 sheet of baking paper.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl. Add the baking soda, salt and cinnamon, then stir until well combined.
- Use a stand mixer with whisk attachment to beat the butter and sugar on high speed for 2 mins, or until light, smooth and creamy.
- Reduce the speed to medium and add the eggs, 1 at a time, until well incorporated. Add the yoghurt, banana and vanilla, and beat until combined.
- Use a wooden spoon or spatula to stir the flour mixture into the banana mixture, making sure all ingredients are combined, but do not overmix.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 1 hour 5 mins, or until a skewer inserted into the bread comes out clean. Allow to cool completely in pan. Transfer to a plate. Slice and serve spread with butter, if desired.
Tips and notes
- If you like nuts in your banana bread, add 3/4 cup chopped walnuts in step 5.
- Did you know that you can mash banana in a mixer? Simply add chopped ripe banana to the bowl and beat with the standard attachment until mashed.